Whitby Guardianship Lawyer

As an adult with capacity, you simply appoint someone to take care of you and your affairs to signing Powers of Attorney . The Whitby guardianship lawyer at M. G. Michaels & Associates can help you if you have a loved one who is incapable of taking care of themselves for any number of medical reasons or managing their finances, and they are over the age of 18. It can be daunting. This is where the term “Guardianship” is applied.

If you have a child or relative with diminished capacity due to a birth defect, medical issues, or an accident, you have likely been giving medical and other professionals directions for that persons care. But, when that child attains the age of 18, you no longer have the natural right to do so. At that stage, you will need to obtain legal guardianship over their property and personal care in order to direct doctors, dentists and other professionals on their care, and to deal with banks and benefit providers, such as ODSP, CPP disability, Trillium, and so on, in their place to ensure that they have the necessities of life while in your care or the care of a third party.

There is also the possibility that an adult relative losses capacity in an accident, or due an illness or aging. If they did not have Powers of Attorney, you would need to obtain guardianship over their affairs in order to take care of them.

At M. G. Michaels & Associates, our Whitby guardianship lawyer has handled dozens of guardianship applications for children and adults who cannot look after themselves or manage their affairs—or both. A properly handled guardianship application gives you peace of mind.

If you have a child with Downs Syndrome, who may become capable of living on their own, and taking care of their physical needs (such as medical/dental appointments, hygiene, dressing appropriately for the weather; knowing what to do in an emergency; et cetera), but is not capable of protecting themselves from scam artists, you may choose to seek guardianship of their property so that you control their money, and you protect them from the scam artists.

If you have a child on the autism spectrum, he or she may be capable of managing their hygiene and dressing appropriately, but incapable of managing their medical/dental appointments or deciding how to cope with a medical emergency, as well as being incapable of managing their finances. In that situation, you may choose to seek guardianship of both their personal care, restricted to the issues they are not capable of managing on their own, and their property.

Whatever the situation that you encounter when it comes to the incapacity of a loved one, if there is no Power of Attorney directing you to act (made when that individual had capacity), you will have to apply for guardianship. Let us help you. Call or email us now, to get a guardianship application or a power of attorney started.